Today I am officially into the last year of my twenties. For some reason, it's really, really bothering me. I've pretty much been a bummer to be around for the past couple of days. I think I've been reflecting on my life a bit much and while there are many good things I've done in my life...there's still so much I had hoped to accomplish by now. I really hoped to be skinnier. I really hoped to have a better handle on how to do this housewife thing. I really hoped that I would be able to embrace the "with age comes wisdom" thing. I really hoped that I'd learn how to decorate my house. LOL Well...nobody's perfect.
I have decided that in honor of my birthday, that I am going to be good to myself for the WHOLE day. As a mother of two, I truly put myself on the back burner most days. It's not good for me and it's not good for my family. Sometimes, in my opinion, I think SAHM's take on the martyr role and put everyone else ahead of themselves just for the sake of making things run smoothly in their families. I remember my mom doing this. She was still wearing clothes from the 80's in the 90's. She was very plain and unhappy for a long time. I realize I've turned into her...but for my birthday, I vow to eat healthy, kick bad habits, get things done, fix myself up for a change, and not raise my voice to my loved ones. I'm hoping by doing this, I'll realize how good it feels and make more days like this.
And since I've been doing so much reflecting...I'm going to share 29 things I've learned about life so far in my 29 years. :)
1. Forgiveness is essential.
2. Healthy small doses of anger can lead to results but long lasting anger leads to destruction.
3. Do not tell huge secrets to just anyone...yeah, turns out that even the best of friends can wag their tongues a bit much sometimes.
4. Don't tell your life story unless someone really wants to hear it.
5. There's a reason they call it your "highschool figure"...b/c after having kids, your body just doesn't look the same.
6. If you have a gut feeling about something, trust it.
7. Sometimes it's just better to smile and nod when receiving unsolicited advice.
8. Romance is overrated....husband babysitting kids while you take a shower is priceless.
9. Marriage is not for the faint-hearted.
10. Despite the popular trend of "having many partners keeps things exciting", sex can still be great with same person after years and years.
11. Sometimes in the worst of circumstances, you just have to laugh or else you'll go insane.
12. Not all men are pigs.
13. Children are truly the best people in the world. :)
14. If not changed quickly, little boys will play in their own poop.
15. Do not put blinds in a two-year-old boy's room...they will tear them up.
16. Turns out that little girls are really made of sugar and spice and everything nice. :)
17. Children are capable of changing people and teaching people way more than we can teach them most of the time.
18. Listen to people and even when they disapoint you, listen some more.
19. Don't call bad people names b/c you're just stooping to their level when ya do.
20. Hear both sides of the story and then try to gain understanding from both sides.
21. Support your husband (most of the time) even when he's being dumb.
22. My Mom and Dad did the best they could...even if they did mess me up some...I know that they tried to do better than their parents.
23. Try to be a better parent than your own parents.
24. Google is a Mommy-brained person's saviour.
25. It's true what they say...if you don't use your brain, you will lose it! lol
26. Honesty from people is getting rarer everyday, so when someone is finally honest with you...don't beat them up b/c it wasn't what you wanted to hear.
27. People that care for you will tell you the things you don't want to hear but need to hear.
28. Not every situation is black and white....sometimes grey is suitable...so don't judge.
29. Don't be bossy and pushy...turns out that grown-ups hate it just as much as kids do. lol
and one to grow on...
30. Stop being afraid to show people who you are...who gives a crap if they don't like what they see? At the end of the day, you are who you are...and WHO you are is special. Everyone deserves to be heard and seen.....so drum roll please..
This is me....and I will no longer be afraid of my friends and family knowing who I truly am. I'm out of the bloggy closet....(well, a little anyway) I'm still not sure I'll go posting my blog on my Facebook...but this is a start. If they find my blog...oh well. Oh, and my name is Kim by the way. :) Sooo hoping I won't regret this tomorrow. Gulp! LOL